Thursday, March 26, 2009

And now Nicole Kidman...

If Whatever Works fares even reasonably well at the box office and with critics, Woody Allen's 2010 release--which now includes Nicole Kidman--will soar. That is, it ought to receive a crazy amount of promotion, becoming one of the more highly anticipated films of its year. For those who aren't keeping track, the cast features Naomi Watts, Nicole Kidman, Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins, Josh Brolin, and Freida Pinto. It appears that Vicky Cristina Barcelona rescued Allen from ever again having to cast a Saved By the Bell castaway into a role. Color me happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a nasty feeling that Whatever Works will be a stinker.

Larry David can only play Larry David. I'm not sure if Woody's writing style will suit him.

Woody's work is brilliant but patchy. Woody followed Match Point (a big hit) with Scoop and Cassandra's Dream that both tanked at the box office. (Scoop was hilarious and underrated - Cassandra's Dream hasn't come to South Africa).

I think Whatever Works will be viewed as a palette cleanser between two great successes.

Unfortunately studios memories are defective - and they might pressure Woody on "Untitled Project" if Whatever Works is a failure.

Martin said...

Nice to hear some love for Scoop. It aired here on tv just days ago, and I was once again reminded how much I love the film. (Also loved it at the cinema.) Hilarious and underrated indeed!

Cassandra's Dream on the other hand is one of my least favourite Woody's. Still decent though.

I'm looking forward to Whatever Works and I'm glad to hear the next project is shaping up in such a promising way too. I would really like for a Woody film to get the attention it so richly deserves.

Also great blog!